Friday, June 29, 2012

Ogunquit 1

A colleague of mine, a Japanese guy, once told me that the Japanese have this impression of Maine as being covered in fog and evergreens and Stephen King is walking around trying to frighten people.  I was intrigued by this, because I'm pretty sure that's the standard American impression as well.  Plus lobstahhh, of course.  

I've always wanted to see Maine.  I came close once.  Planned the whole thing out, camping by the seashore, Acadia National Park, and Bar Harbor.  The week before the trip I was abruptly dumped by the guy I was going to go with.  Of course I realize that that wasn't Maine's fault.  Nonetheless I stopped talking about visiting for awhile.  We grew estranged, Maine and I.  

Fast forward a decade after my near-Maine experience, Our friends got engaged and announced their plans to get married in Maine, where the bride had been raised.  And so it came to pass that D and I put Bobby in doggie-jail and off we went to Boston by way of Atlanta from Cincinnati (we saved enough to make the transfers worth it, believe me).  We rented a car and drove up through Massachussetts and about five minutes worth of New Hampshire to that Mitten Dipping into the Atlantic, Maine.


Ogunquit is a land by the sea, 

where trolleys roam the streets, 


where the art of signcraft is alive and well,




where wacky weather vanes greet you,

dolphins
clippers

mermaids
... bakers?  

and possessing absolutely amazing scenery.






  



and that's not all!

the Oarweed : best clam chowder we've ever had anywhere period
the Marginal Way : goooorgeous

No comments: