Monday, January 2, 2012

And Now For Something Completely Different

Not to be an overachiever, but by January 1st I had already hit one of my resolutions.
I learned something new and did something I've never done before.  I've acquired a new skill.
  
Four-In-Hand Knot (Wikipedia)

Yes, the internet has taught me how to tie a tie.  D helped.  A little.  Mostly he fidgeted and craned his neck to see around my head in order to watch the game.   No, that's not true.  He showed me how he normally ties his knot and called it a Windsor knot. 

 According to Wikipedia, "James Bond never trusted a man who boasted a Windsor Knot; "It was tied with a Windsor knot. Bond mistrusted anyone who tied his tie with a Windsor knot. It showed too much vanity. It was often the mark of a cad."

Turns out D's knot wasn't the Windsor Knot.  My dad uses the Windsor Knot.  D has been using the Four-In-Hand knot.  So I learned that one first, and then picked one I liked better. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Pratt Knot. 

necktiesandknots.com, not D's neck

As a woman I have never before had the need to tie a tie.  Nor do I have the need now, actually.  Also I learned something about myself.  I cannot read a tie-tying schematic to save my life.  I had to watch a video to figure it out. 

In other news, I just loaded up on new musics.  Perfect for my newest time-sink, the swing dancers' section of turntable.fm.  If you are unfamiliar, it's like a chatroom for music appreciation.  Which its quite nice just to sit and chill and listen to music with people who like what you like, and introduce yourself to new songs to love.  And it already has! 

No comments: