Sunday, March 18, 2012

Ault Park in Bloom


I love when the days are long enough for us to get out and play.  When the weather is as lovely as it was on St. Patty's Day, how can you not get out and enjoy it?   

I missed the first few days of beautiful weather, sprawled out on the couch with a fever.  Poor dog didn't get much exercise, and I'd like to say he was pretty good about, except he's been jumping the fences to play with the neighbors' dogs again.  And then I had to run out in my slippers and madwoman hair, apologizing, trying to coax Dog back into the yard.  And because he was passive aggressive, he took some persuading.  Humiliation.  Clever vengeance, Dog.  

But St. Patty's Day had me feeling better than I have in awhile.  So as a treat for both of us I got out early with young master Bobbins, and we went to Ault Park.  


Just like Cherry Blossom time in Japan, people were out with their families, their dogs, their cameras, to take in the beautiful blossoms.


We went early in the day, so it was still quiet, the earth and blossoms were fragrant, especially thanks to the rain yesterday. 


I'd brought my headphones but I never put them in, choosing instead to give the full attention of my senses to the show that nature was putting on.  The birdsong was adequate soundtrack for me.


People enjoy sakura in Japan by having "Flower Viewing Parties."


A bunch of friends or family with spread a tarp underneath the canopy of blossoms and have a picnic and some drinks, and just generally have a good time. 


 No familiar blue tarps at Ault Park, and at that early hour there were no picnickers either.  All for the best I suppose, as they don't smile on publicly imbibing alcohol in the park, St. Patty's Day or no.  


No picnic for me either, especially not with the Dog in tow.  I can't imagine anything more impossible, actually.  

 

I certainly took my time strolling the grounds.  Took a photo for a sweet young couple.  Joked about stealing their fancy camera.  ha haa.


And maybe its all in my head, but I swear that something about a shift in weather that really seems to open people up.

 

The usually (seemingly) standoffish Cincinnatians around me were cordial in their greetings, pleasant in their hellos.  

Magnolia

There was an openness, a warmth that pervaded the scene.  Or maybe I'm the one that opened up? 

Camouflage, for the win

Oh, I'm making it sound pretty pastoral, huh?  But you know what?  It kinda was.   

Star Magnolia


A Spring morning spent in Ault Park is time well spent. 

 


Maybe even good for the soul.

 

No comments: